Saturday, October 9, 2010

'Prayer for the Physician' by Maimonides & AAFP on Burnout to wellness

Before I begin the holy work of healing the creations of your hands, I place my eternity before the throne of Your glory that You grant me strength of spirit and fortitude to faithfully execute my work.  
Let not desire for wealth or benefit blind me from seeing truth.  
Deem me worth of seeing in the sufferer who seeks my advice - a person - neither rich nor poor, friend of foe, good man or bad, or a man in need, show me only the man.

If doctors, wiser than I, seek to help me understand, grant me the desire to learn from them, for the knowledge of healing is boundless.  
But when fools deride me, give me fortitude.  Let my love for my profession strengthen my resolve to withstand the derision even of men of high station.  Illuminate the way for me, for any lapse in my knowledge can bring illness and death upon Your creations.  I beseech You, merciful and gracious God, strengthen me in body and soul, and instill within me a perfect spirit. 

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/news/news-now/resident-student-focus/20100309residentwellness.html

No comments:

Post a Comment